San Luis Obispo’s first Startup Weekend was definitely a success, and that’s thanks to the effort of our organizers, mentors, sponsors, advisors, speakers and participants. It was a group effort and something that we hope becomes an asset to both Cal Poly and San Luis Obispo. The integration of skills, ideas and passions is what makes Startup Weekends happen – and that kind of collaboration needs to continue year round. Keep working, building, and hacking. Thanks for making SWSLO 2012 awesome.
- 100 attendees
- 68 ideas pitched
- 15 teams formed
- 12 prototypes presented
- 17 sponsors
- 4 speakers
- 13 mentors
- 3 bowls of fruit
- Haberdash for taking first place and winning the opportunity to attend the Kauffman Foundation’s FastTrac program.
- Grappple for earning second place and the opportunity to work with the Hatchery.
- misheard.me for their unique music algorithm.
- Cosmic Shelf for their Kinect-hacked virtual bookshelf.
- Studygasm for clever branding.
- Everyone else for participating!
Startup Weekend SLO in the News
San Luis Obispo’s first startup weekend earned plenty of press coverage: we were on KSBY (twice!), on the radio, and in print in New Times, Tolosa Press, Mustang Daily and others. There was plenty of online coverage as well. Check out our before and after press releases.
- SWSLO Facebook
- Don’t forget to keep using the hashtag #SWSLO
- Sign up for the Cal Poly Center for Innovation & Entrepreneurship’s mailing list for more entrepreneurship events
- Come to weekly Cal Poly Entrepreneurs meetings to stay involved in the community
- Organizers: Chris Petersilge, Matt McGunagle, Eric Duarte and Kristin Kenney.
- Sponsors: The Cal Poly Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Greenstart, iFixit, MindBody, Yes We Do Apps, Brown Dog Partners, Softec, Level, RRM Design Group, Digital West, SLO Seed Ventures and Experts Exchange.
- Speakers: Jonathan York, Dillon McDonald, Xander Pollock and Reed Morse.
- Judges: Jonathan York, Frank Foster, Kyle Wiens and Thea Chase.
- Mentors: Denise Dudley, Song Zheng, Chris McCann, Xander Pollock, Kyle Wiens, Brian Riley, Matt Faustman, Dan Weeks, Jim Hale, Reed Morse, Jo Anne Mileer, Sasha Laundy and Jonathan Mumm.
Thanks again from the entire SWSLO team.